Xen on Etch!

Based on this article, I have managed to make Xen works like a charm.

I use Debian Etch. I installed it from netinst. I just pick standart installation with no desktop or any server. Then, I install:

# apt-get install xorg
# apt-get install openbox openbox-theme obconf pypanel

The last three is optional, but it doesn't hurt if I have one. I use pypanel as taskbar because it's lightweight.

Well, if you want, you could use the proper ViM version, not the default tiny:

# apt-get remove vim-tiny
# apt-get install vim

Some suggest to install xdm or (K)/(G)DM, but I prefer to use startx script.

# apt-get install xen-linux-system-2.6.17-2-xen-686 xen-utils-3.0-unstable-1 xen-ioemu-3.0-unstable xen-docs-3.0-unstable bridge-utils libc6-xen file xen-tools

I add xen-tools, because it isn't installed by default.

Note that by default xen use network-dummy script for network. I have network in here, so it wouldn't be useful if the guests (domU) cannot reach outside. So, before I restarted the computer, I change the configuration in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp

find line:

(network-script network-dummy)

and change it to:
(network-script network-bridge)

That's all.

Well, before reboot (you could do it after reboot, doesn't matter), I change the behaviour of xen-tools. I change the /etc/xen-tools/xen-tools.conf to reflect my needs.

I use loopback image, so I define the place where I could put .... -_-'

Bah, I'm getting bored. The config file is just simple. Just define the place, network gateway and netmask (if you using one subnet), uncomment debootstrap = 1, change the mirror.

Btw, I'm behind firewall, so I cannot installed to the outside world. Because of that, I have to comment out the security repository in /usr/lib/xen-tools/etch.d/20-....

Comments

Popular Posts