Nasionalism? [Pun Intended]

I've got interesting review of nationalism here:
http://cacianqalbukunderemp.blogspot.com/2008/05/nasionalisme-sukuisme-kampung.html

What is nationalism?

A sense where a person feels belong like home.

What is the value of Nationalism?

The "Sumpah Pemuda" or Youth Declaration, my free translation, state that there are three values of nationalism:
"One blood, Indonesian blood"
"A Nation named Indonesia"
"A Language named Bahasa Indonesia"

But, do I (and some of us) feel like home?

Sometimes, I felt like 3rd class citizen. I asked myself, why moslems could build mosque everywhere, yet my own church almost got closed (they failed because my church have legitimate paper from Ministry of Religion). But, how about other churches? Why do we have to rent spaces in stores or Malls just to have our faith?

Even those Ahmadiyah, I pitty on them. Just because this nation is Sunni, that doesn't give them the right to judge Ahmadiyah. I mean, whoa, we have policemen but why religion mass organization could have their own judgement? They can burn all they want. Is that a sense of belonging? I wonder if there are Syiah people, could they live together? Yeah, even those troublesome Salafian also have their right to believe their value of zealotism.

And how about the Chinese citizens? I heard they got different paper of birth. Why? They've been here more than three generations. Do they not deserve more? I've seen their nationality more than anyone. They are the one that got Olympics medals for science. Do you remember in Atlanta Olympics Games, where Indonesia got all the badminton medals and our nationality anthems resounds? I do, they are great brothers and sisters and I salute them.

The important issue which arouse few years ago, is about the presidentship of Indonesia. When Megawati became the candidate, a person with ministry rank came to say that Indonesian president must a male Javanese moslem person. No, I'm not trying to bring old wound, but there is a serious problem in Indonesia: Non Javanese people feel like Indonesia is a Javanese Imperialism.

Imagine, there are places in Indonesia with rich potential, but why only in Java everything is set? Why people wants to go to Java, especially Jakarta?

I also felt like ridiculous when heard people talk Inlish (just like Singlish, Indonesian language with sense of English, bad one of course). There are many Indonesian words to describe things, but why people choosing the English words out of the Indonesian words? Worst, they even put the word in the wrong interpretation. Just because they are synonim, doesn't mean they are right.

A language is a mean to communicate to say something, to define it. If Bahasa Indonesia is not used correctly, then it means the language have failed to define things. Which in turns, we have nullified the Bahasa Indonesa to the extend that it no longer have the right function as a tool for communication. Thus, the language isn't usable anymore. Is that what we want?

If we nullified the Bahasa Indonesia, which means we also break the Sumpah Pemuda. If it's lie that, the Sumpah Pemuda is no longer relevant. If the Sumpah Pemuda is no longer relevant, according to the Tata Perundang-undangan Indonesia/Indonesian Law Integrity, my own free translation, has lost one of its foundation. Thus, Indonesia as a country with law is flawed and the country itself is bound to the question of its existence.

Do we want that? I don't!

As Narpati suggest, it is not right anymore people would say that I am Javanese or Bataknese. In our generation, we have born in lands which our parents and grandparents no longer have link, but we do have. I have always said that I am a Jakartanian, I am born here in Jakarta, though my parents are Bataknese. I do belong to a tradition, Bataknese custom, but I am an Indonesian.

One matter that I think this country needs a great turn on its thinking towards religion. With the diversity of its citizenship, I mean I think we Indonesian have the greatest diversity than the rest of the world, we should have government with Secularism thinking. Yes, it is the root of the problem of todays government. They interfere religion too much.

I do believe in God, which is why I am a Christian. But, everybody have their own definition of God. In my belief, and everyone elses, everyone that disagree with my definition of God is a lost person. Now, this is why secularism in thinking is needed. If everyone feel like to evangelized others, which is a good thing, will put it into the point where it makes people shed blood. In this case, religion have failed as a religion because it only starts a war.

Of course, it should not be 100% secular. Indonesian government must have secular thinking with the thinking of there is a God. Definition of God is not bounded to Christianity, Islam, Buddhaism, Hiduism, or Kong Hu Cu. It must have generic definition just like in Pancasila. In programming world, Object Programming, Religion is an Abstract Class, where every religions have the right to become its child. In other words, secularism is important to think religion as an abstract in some extend without bounded into some strict definition which put faith act of a person endangered.

To have secularism is a good thing here in Indonesia. To lost its culture also a good thing in Indonesia. We are an archipelago country, with rich in culture. But, we must have a common culture to be in brotherhood, that is what the definition of National Culture should be. It must not belong to Malayan, Javanese, Bataknese, or any culture but Indonesian only.

I'm not saying that root culture shouldn't be preserved, but we have a great problem here since youngster have lost their sense of culture due to the invasive Western and Japanese culture. If we have the culture of our own, we at least could protect these youngster from loosing their innerselves. A nationalism in the end would protect the root culture.

And another thing that we need to fix. The history of Indonesia, especially in the modern era. I felt that I have more knowledge of Bastille history than the 1st March Battle. I even know Sekigahara Battle better than the Ambarawa Battle (does the name sounds to you? :-)).

Japanase have the sense of good history. Even in the comic pop culture, there exist great comics that put history as background, of course they are not 100% fact, but makes us want to know the real history.

Tempo Magazine of course, the magazine that I cherish to reminiscence my eagerness to know my country. The dark history of 1965 failed Coup' de Etat, have bring my nationalism. The negative of Bung Karno, Mr. Soeharto, and even Aidit have blossom my nationality. I wish people would know the history and the reason behind it.

I wish Indonesian Government, especially in the Ministry of Education, put the Bahasa Indonesia as the language in her own place. I mean, come on, I have better grade in English than Bahasa Indonesia. I have Indonesian courses that taught differ each other. Even, the curriculum at that time only confuse me and I felt like it didn't even touch the contemporer issues.

Next thing that I think we need to have in this country is National Reconsiliation. The past may haunt some people, but make it at least not to stall the improvement of Indonesia. History is there to be written as a lesson that we don't fall into the same pit. But, it has no right to put chains unto our neck. It should stay as a lesson not burden.

Yeah, it seems like all the problems can be solved by education. So, how's that?

I am a Christian, but I think of Moslems, Buddhists, etc as my brothers/sisters. I am born as a Bataknese but these blood that run in my vein is Indonesian. I can talk English and Bataknese, but my mother tongue is Bahasa Indonesia. Do you feel the same?

100 Years of National Revival. Where do we go next?

Comments

Popular Posts