Watch Your Step (Gnome Review)

At the past, I was convinced to switch my main desktop from Gnome to KDE. A little effect is because of the Torvald flame about that time. My first primary disappointment is because so much dependency just to make Gnome runs, and it sucks if you compile Gnome from scratch. My second primary disappointment is because Metacity do not support composite extension. Instead, it use their own code for composite and give my shiny machine like a 386 running W**XP.

After few months switching from Gnome to KDE, I set my eyes back to Gnome. Years of using Gnome as default cannot be beaten just in few months. I was teased to reconsider Gnome after the release of Novell's Compiz, the OpenGL-based window manager.

Good Lord, the gnome project have evolved!

The Gnome 2.14, the hottest from this project. It is focused on the performance. Yes, it will give my machine the proper manner! YAY!

But not only that, improved GUI, integration with Beagle (the best desktop search), etc make me believed this Gnome 2.14 will be my priority when it launched. An article by Davyd Madeley, here, pleased me enough to set Gnome as default once more.

Metacity also have the ability of glx composite manager (I'm glad they have learn from their past mistake.

Just one thing I long from Gnome, step by step installation from scratch, without any tools like jhbuild or gargnome, package installation list, and bundled softwares.

But then again, now I have Ubuntu, do I have reason for those? -just apt-get-

Nice.

Comments

Popular Posts