Review: 【Original Song】愛の小さな歌 || Ai no Chiisana Uta - Moona Hoshinova

 


This ballad song is the song about Moona thanking her fans. It takes minimalistic approach using piano and digital strings.

I like the lyrics and the emotion in the singing. The chord progression also helps to convey the emotions throughout the song. It's a nice ballad.

However, it has fatal flaw on how the String and the keyboard layered together. On parts like the chorus and the climax, they have erroneous sounding. Like listening to two songs with different keys at the same time.

Studi Suara called this as dissonance. He tactfully said may be this is part of the song. Well, he probably afraid being attacked by mindless fans. It really not sounds well to me as well.

Based on my listening, I think the problem lies in the sustaining sound of the keyboard. It clashed with the String and the next key. The keyboardist played as if only he/her/them that will fill the song.

I tried to find covers as comparison and found djalto cover have it better. She made the first section with keyboard only and layered them with backing vocal adlibs. At the last part, keyboard and the string left some space for their counterparts. This making the sound more enjoyable to me.

I think I can give an example of the similar song to explain better.

This song style reminds me of Nero's Glow song. However, Nero approach for it is to make the strings staccato while Moona's makes every instrument played in sustain.

Also, listen to the Nero bass. The sustaining sound in lower frequency and it is subdued. Moona's sustaining sound in lower to mid-range persists a few beats. 

By the end of the day, I agree with Studi Suara to restructure the chords. Additionally, they need to make the melody sparser. It's too crowded.

The current strong structure is not for my ears. The way it is presented is too noisy like two different songs collided. That's how I feel when listening, may be others find it acceptable.


Comments

Popular Posts