Equality is Scary: Free to Enjoy Destroy












I'm an environmentalist, or trying to be, since I've found out about ecological homeostatis. In my 3rd senior year, through a supplementary Biology class, I've found out that our land is connected with other part of the world. Furthermore, our tropical rain forest is the belt that creates earth's oxygen.

Since the dawn of industrialism, earth is scavanged and that makes enviromental problems. We have polluted air, radical climate change and the most crucial is greenhouse effect. As we grow greedy, many resources become exhausted and scarce. We have to stop this!

Like other envinromentalist, I think the best solution is to stop the radical change of man. We should not let countries to advance that rapid. Don't let them repeat the same mistake of having this life like us.

However, how many of us have the ability to endure pain?

Imagine of people that having less than $2 expense. Imagine of how people had their children died of hunger. Imagine of people that have to walk miles away just to have water. Imagine of those whose dream are to have better lives like in the cinema.

We have water at dispenser. We have educations. We have convenience store of everything. Sure, that's something that not for free. But, we made others also paying the price.

Why because of our conscious of the wrong doing making people not to have it?

We know we are wrong. We not let people to do the same path. But, we don't change. Isn't it just an act of exclusivity? We don't have the right to stop people from advancing.

But, I think, to have people restrained is not bad. You restrain yourself from killing your cheating girlfriend because you believe she would change. You restrain yourself from eating too much so you can achieve a record in track field. Restrained is also form of freedom if and only if people choose it.

To have them restrained is to let them know that the freedom of what their doing is actually like a sheep headed to butchery. That's not a good sight and I think our job as a man of freedom is to free them from it. But, is this the best thing?

Now, I don't know if I write right. My mind is faster than the hand. From this part is the thing that I want to say.

I know that many people from Irian Jaya (Papua, Papua Barat) wants their freedom. I don't think there is something wrong from it. I mean, look at them, years of excavations by Freeport and they still left behind from civilization.

My environmentalist mind may defend it by saying. Hey, if they were like Java, they would lost their paradise. The bastard me!

Our church have ministries in Papua. One of the pastor told us a story about how women with rotten flesh walked. They don't have doctors to disinfect them. Many people are alcoholic and he told us that a fellow pastor's wive almost got raped by those delinquent.

They need sanitation, doctors and education! They need infrastructures to have better lives. They need advancement. They deserve to have an option to be like us.

Still, I don't think Papua as a new nation is not right. I'm not talking about Indonesia, the country I love, and that I am part of it. But, I'm talking about humanity. Papua is not ready for their own government. They could fall for civil wars.

On that land, many spiritual leaders have their influence.

This is bad. Religion is cursed. Many spiritual leaders could separated just because of money and power. And their religious zealots would walk the bloody path as if it is for heaven.

But, then again, who am I to forbid them to have independence? Who am I that have facilities bitching about nationality to those that rot on the street? Who am I putting finger on mischievous people when I have everything that I need?

I was about to say rot on the sewer but then again they don't have that kind of facility.

But, then again, if we bother so much about nationality, why not help them as our brethren to have better lives?

After this you may find me arrogance, but I don't know how to write better illustration. I just write my own experience to say this point:

"If you want to bitch, be ready to fix them too"

Like many, I bitch about our government; about the best thing that left only for the rich; about the inequality; about how laws are not kept. Then there is this illustration that God draws from me.

One day a fellow neighbor talked to me. We haven't spoke before and I didn't have social. We were using a Mikrolet. We were on the front row. I was talking with the driver about corruption and stuff like that. The driver then cursed all of the government officials. My neighbor kept silence. He was hurt, I think, because he was a government official. Then, the car trespassed a red light. Then my neighbor complained the driver to me of having double standard with cold tone.

We bitched about our lives. We, like the driver, bitched about how corrupt this country. But, none of us had the balls to have Jihad/holy war against it with becoming a rightful official. Who could stand underpaid and low respect life?

Don't bitch if you don't have the ball to pull the trigger of change.

What I discovered, however, was that people that become a trigger of change don't bitch. Instead, they have compassion on people whom disabled. I think, they don't bitch about it because they understand about the pain those people were going through.

The reason why I respect Malaysia and didn't call them thieve is because we didn't realize about our culture. A group of people from Java wanted having a better life and wanted to preserve their culture on the foreign land. Not many Indonesian even have dignities on our own culture at that time. Those children of Ponorogo just needed to survive. So, they did Reog there.

We didn't preserve our culture at that time. We had let the culture died a painful slow death. Did we have a right to bitch?

People want a better lives and their lives are contradicting with our idealism. We don't have a right to stop them if we don't have a solution for their suffering. We are stripped of our right if the solution is against their consciences.

I like this part of open source project which applied also to life:

If something is wrong, why not fix it instead of bitching about it? You have the tools, it's open for you. You have the source. You could compile it and modify it how ever you like. If you have not the resolve, just watch the bugzilla and wait until another people fix it for you.

To watch the bugzilla of an open bug is scary, especially when the bug affects us. Just live with it. Because, if we bitch, instead of making the developer happy, we only making it worst by making them walk away from the project.

---

So, this is the final Equality is Scary series that I would love to write. This writing was inspired by backgrounds on Ai-Ren. These three parts were a big writing that I decided to separate it into three sections.

Comments

Popular Posts