Skip to main content

Saikai - LiSa x Uru (Moona x Suisei)

 

If there is one song that I like to listen over and over, it would be Saikai covered by Moona and Suisei. To me, this is the entry for me to like again Japanese songs and starts to take the vtubing industry as a legit music industry.

I have liked the Japanese songs in the past, but grown tired because of their direction. They tend to milk much with royal road progression and the math rock-ish style. Feels like repeated theme over and over. 

Because of that, I will know if it's a Japanese song or not. But, that made me tired of listening the same pattern. However, I do have a favorite band, Perfume. I collected their CDs by asking my friends who visited Japan. So, I don't think that I am totally off with the Japanese music.

Of course, the pandemic stops my supply of CD and I don't have any room for more CDs.

Anyway, back to the Hoshi duet...

I found it interesting about how both of Suisei and Moona taking the approach. And how I am learning Japanese culture from this song.

If you look at the video mash up between the original singers and them here:


 You can hear that Suisei is sounding a lot like Uru and Moona had sung the song differently. At first, I would think low for Suisei. However, the Japanese comments seems to like Suisei take on the song rather than Moona.

Here I want to be clear, both of Moona and Suisei is taking a good effort to sing the song. However, me as an audience from outside Japan, and as a musician, feels that Suisei is singing not like herself. She mimic the Uru style.

For me at the time, as an artist, it is expected of you when singing a song whether it is a cover, to sing it with your own take. You give your flavor to that song. That's why I really respect how Moona can sing the song with her take. Moona showcasing her long breath and strong vocal on that song.

Fortunately, I learn the word Utaite means Utaitemitta, or I tried to sing. So, in their culture, probably, what Suisei doing is actually honoring the original singer as the best form of cover. So, now I understand why Suisei wanted to sing her song closed to Uru-style. Which was why started to respect both approaches.

There is one thing that I don't like from the production of this duet. The sound engineer (Redshift) seems playing too much with the vocal. Redshift distorted the vocal sound too much for me. Or, may be this is a problem with YouTube decoding?

I feel the distortion is something that of Redshift signature. It works really well in Reine's cover with Towa in Cynical Night Plan. But, that is a stylized songs, while this one is a vocal-based song. I hope Redshift do the mixing like in Kobo's rendition of Everything Goes On.

I mean, the song of RATATATA by Baby Metal x  Electric Call Boy also feels distorted. But not so much like Saika. And also, I think this is natural because RATATATA is a rock song. The distortion on the singing is obviously to balance with the scream of electric guitars.

I don't know, may be the mic? I tried to listen with YouTube Music version which have the better quality. I can still hear the distortion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STAN vs. UI

Ugh, kasihan banget adek gue. Saking kepinteran dia jadi dapet Akuntansi UI dan STAN. Jadi bingung mau masuk yang mana. Beberapa orang (termasuk orang tua gue), menyarankan masuk STAN. Gue malah memperburuk suasana dengan membela memasuki Akuntansi UI, maklum bela almamater. Duh, gue jadi merasa bersalah bikin dia ragu-ragu. Kira-kira enakan masuk mana, yah? Gue juga gak tahu keuntungan masing-masing. Hasil debat sementara: ~ Untuk jangka panjang masuk UI, untuk jangka pendek STAN. ~~Tapi, dia itu kan cewek, ntar pas menikah kemungkinan besar karir terhambat. Eits, ntar, dulu, sekarang kan jamannya emansipasi, bisa aja cowoknya yang jadi BRT. ~ STAN sarang korupsi, kalo masuk STAN jadi pegawai negeri. Kalo mau kaya harus korupsi. Tapi kalo masuk UI, lulus masuk jadi akuntan publik. Sekarang ini, orang membayar akuntan publik untuk memanipulasi nilai pajak dan aset. *SIGH*. Jadi gak ada yang beres ~ dll. Yah, udah gue jadi bingung, apa lagi dia nanya saran gue. Buah, gue gak pengalaman

I Hate Marvel Civil War Storyline In Comic

See this snippets from The Amazing Spiderman: [1] http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4625006.html The snippets on [1] made it clear: Stan Lee made Spidey have a strong believe in Privacy. The comic strips show how Spidey even have to face charges because of his anonymity. The accuser even made many accusation to other entities for political attacks. A fan-art/art I've found in the 90's illustrated Spiderman standing in front of Peter Parker tomb. I don't know if that was originally from comic book or fan-made, 90's are a long time ago. That art mesmerized me and introduced me to the importance of privacy. In late nineties, I was joined to a program hold by an NGO. So, at that time I know how crucial a privacy was (and still is) to humanity. I'm not exaggerating! Humanity would fall to big financial organizations if people could not voice their fears in anonymity. Whistleblowers around the world would not dare to come up. We would not see any suppression ge