【MV】Shoujotachi Yo - Tana Nona JKT48V

 

Tana Nona released her new cover of JKT48, "Shoujotachi yo" or "Gadis Remaja" or "Teenage Girl". 

First of all, JKT48 version and AKB48 version is not my cups of tea. I don't feel comfortable to listen to idol-style sing. There is something about thin voices singing unison that sitting not well with me. I haven't tried to explore it well. I think it is because I feel like they were doing Karaoke instead of singing because the unison not quite unison and it screw the balance with the music. Or maybe it feels like those voices are wasted potential that should have been arranged into many sections?

Back to Tana Nona, I feel her voice really enjoyable. Her technique makes me remember the way late singer Dolores of Cranberries. She carries such good emotion using her voice, something that is rare on idol culture.

One critic for me is the way her voice is mixed. I wish the mixer lets her crackling sound. Her breathiness is a bit thin in the song. I know nowadays people are chasing perfect sounding voice. But by trimming the breathiness and crackling sound discounting the emotion that enrich the song.

The more I listen to the song, though, I can see why the mixer wants to cut out the vibration. He didn't really delete all of them, just suppress them but let some in. Maybe he's chasing for a lighter tone for the song.

Hmm....

Yeah, I haven't met a dance song with heavy tone in the singer.

Btw, I think Tana Nona can really shine if she sings "Kagome" or any songwriter song.

Comments

Popular Posts