Voice

 

AI generated image from Freepik

For the longest time, I am a proponent of non-edited voice. There seems an uncanny valley feeling coming from a pitch corrected voice. That's why I'm in-tune with people that don't like Autotune.

But, why?

A hate like any other Newton's law is something that is coming from a cause. I believe there is a cause of this. I want to explain that much.

I think from my long contemplation, I got what the thing that made auto-tuned voice feels not right for me. They feel too right.

 Our conscious can differentiate things. The inconsistency in a singing voice actually brings coded emotion signals that is perceive by our conscious. The auto-tune usually flat out those signals. It makes the nuggets from coded emotions become unreadable.

That's also why some songs feels bland. The voice is no longer coded with emotions as they are being flattened by auto-tune and overly compressed filter. Yeah, the fault is not only on the auto-tune alone.

Emotions can be quantified by the way singer sings the song. The vibrato, the touch of hitting a little bit lower/higher frequency, and the things that made our voice may not perfectly on 261.63Hz on C scale.

The extreme of that is why we can accept song sung by Alanis Morrisett and Cindy Lauper.

Stylized Voices

As that being said, I don't think I'm not open to stylized voice. I mean, everyone in the industry now using some form of auto-tune. It is not going away any moment. Probably later the music industry will circle back to open voice.

That's why, I am now shifting my internal thought to perceive the voice as one of the instruments. Then, the later would be the question of whether I can accept such instrument or not. It is much easier to accept with that.

I mean I already accept how Daft Punk sing their song. 
 


Comments

Popular Posts