Linux and Internet Radio

Can Linux play internet radio? Sure it can. (That's what the Net advertise)

But, I'm currently using linux's modern player: Amarok. No sound and it sucks! (Freeze!)

I googling a while, and found streamtuner. Still no luck, though I have inserted my proxy server, and it just opened XMMS and nothing happened.

And then, I found that a man bragging about his mplayer playing his internet radio. Then, I opened my Yakuake (cool console, addictive one) and type:

# export http_proxy=XXXXX
# export HTTP_PROXY=$http_proxy
# gmplayer

And I inserted a url from shoutcast.com. Voila! It rocks!

Btw, this is sucks. Why a modern linux player such as Amarok failed to play internet radio just right out of the box? Are they trying to mimic M*******t just making good UI and lost functionality? Why on earth a ten years technology (that should be rusty enough) such as XMMS and MPlayer are the only answers to play such technology?

Ah, the misjudge me! The proxy server is not set that's why Amarok cannot play my playlist. Well, it works like a charm. Great!

Comments

Popular Posts